Physiotherapy and Injury Prevention

Physiotherapists are trained to diagnose, assess and treat all kinds of injuries. They spend, at the very least, 80 percent of their studies and time helping people who have already sustained injuries. That leaves, at most, 20 percent of their efforts and resources available for the prevention of the injuries before they occur. This is unfortunate, as Physiotherapy and Injury Prevention can be a perfect match, and a win win for all.

Most injury management is focused on fix rather than avoid

Most injuries have a preventable component. Would you rather get treatment for a painful injury you have sustained or avoid the injury altogether? This is not a difficult question to answer, yet injury management, and indeed medicine in general, currently remains focused on cure rather than prevention.

It is easy to see why this cure approach to health has developed. Pain and illness are great motivators for seeking help. One is generally not motivated to act if there is no painful reason to do so.

It is also intriguing to examine why the prevention approach to injury has not been integrated into medicine from its inception. In caveman days, many behaviours that we now know to be preventative were innate. Early humans were much more active, walked on uneven surfaces, did a variety of physical tasks daily, crawled, climbed, ran, ate an unprocessed diet and maintained a healthy weight. Injuries that did occur were much more likely to be on the unavoidable end of the scale, such as getting chomped by a dinosaur.

Although humans invent things to make life easier, we are inventing away the natural activities that make us resistant to injury. Level grounds, solid chairs, cars, TVs, computers and smart gadgets all decrease the challenge on our musculoskeletal system, leading to decreased fitness and strength.

The technological revolution has changed our physical world, and so too, must we change our approach to injury management. Preventative actions are now essential.

 

With the right tools and mindset, people can often make themselves

better or prevent injury in the first place

The ultimate objective of health professionals is to care for people. Generally we are very good at it, in fact, sometimes a little too good at it. Caring well for patients makes us feel good about ourselves to the point where, subconsciously and surreptitiously, we support the patient’s notion that they need us to get them better.

In reality, given the right coaching and tools, injured patients can often make themselves better. Naturally, this will not be the case with all injuries, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Taking this a step further, with the right coaching and tools, you can dramatically decrease your own risk of getting injured in the first place. It doesn’t cost much, and it doesn’t take much time.

The role of health professionals should be less about creating dependency by performing treatment techniques on you, and more about being your coach and number one fan guiding you to fix yourself.

Preventing injuries is cheap and easy to do

Medical types have a propensity to use their technical knowledge to over complicate explanations. At Online Physio we aim to shirk this trend. The concepts we use are guaranteed to be:

Simple: The concepts we use are kept simple. It’s easier to remember 10 simple principles than 267 complex ones right? Simple is not dumber, it’s just simpler.

Cost Effective: The prevention suggestions we use are designed for you to carry out at low to no cost.

Your next steps

What is your risk of sustaining a musculoskeletal injury? Complete the free Injury Risk Indicator and find out.

If you want to find out what you can do to prevent injury, the Before You Break book can help.